Although the basic objective of a measurement is to provide the required accuracy at a minimum cost, metrology has further objectives in a modern engineering plant with different shapes which are:
1. Complete evaluation of newly developed products.
2. Determination of the process capabilities and ensure that these are better than the relevant component tolerances.
3. Determination of the measuring instrument capabilities and ensure that they are quite sufficient for their respective measurements.
4. Minimizing the cost of inspection by effective and efficient use of available facilities.
5. Reducing the cost of rejects and rework through application of Statistical Quality Control Techniques.
6. To standardize the measuring methods.
7. To maintain the accuracies of measurement.
8. To prepare designs for all gauges and special inspection fixtures.